State-owned rail company Transnet on Tuesday unveiled the first locomotive to be designed, engineered and manufactured in Africa, the Trans-Africa locomotive.
The company said the locomotive, which will be assembled at the company’s production facility in Koedoespoort, east of Pretoria, marked a crucial step in its strategy of becoming a leading manufacturer and supplier of rolling stock on the continent.
The locomotive is suitable for use on branch lines and in the yard for shunting, while also being able to travel on old rail tracks originally designed to carry light axle loads.
“The locomotive is evidence of the strides we are making in transforming Transnet Engineering into an original-equipment manufacturer for locomotives, a move designed to restore our position as a catalyst for African innovation, industrialisation and critically, intra-African trade,” Transnet CEO Siyabonga Gama said.
In addition, the diesel-powered Trans-Africa locomotive is appropriate for aged railway lines that operate on the Cape Gauge system, offering a cost-effective solution for the majority of the continent’s railway lines that are currently unused.
EDITED BY: CHANEL DE BRUYN
CREAMER MEDIA SENIOR DEPUTY EDITOR ONLINE
Merchandise and especially cereal transport capacity of the Corredor de Desenvolvimento do Norte (CDN) company will be boosted when a hundred newly-purchased railcars enter service, CDN spokesman Sérgio Paunde announced.
The railcars, each with capacity of 54 tons, were bought in neighbouring South Africa, an investment of close to US$11 million, Paunde said, cited by the Maputo-based daily Notícias.
He explained that 22 of the 100 railcars are already at Nampula and that a like number will soon be delivered. The last group should arrive in Mozambique in December of this year at the latest.
CDN has been receiving requests from various clients aiming to transport large quantities of cereals to regions along the Nacala rail corridor which face food shortages due to low harvests in the last agricultural season, Paunde said.
Although positive 2015/2016 harvest results were recorded, Mozambique’s Nampula province, for example, needs about 900,000 tons of maize to meet demand.
The corporate purpose of CDN – Corredor de Desenvolvimento do Norte is to manage, restore and commercially exploit in an integrated manner the infrastructures of the port of Nacala and the railway network in northern Mozambique. It is included in the Nacala Corridor Project involving northern Mozambique as well as Malawi and Zambia.
CDN’s shareholding structure comprises Sociedade de Desenvolvimento do Corredor de Nacala, with a 51 percent stake, and the state-held Portos e Caminhos-de-Ferro de Moçambique, with the remaining 49 percent. (Macauhub/MZ)
- Trains come to a standstill in Mozambique’s Northern Development Corridor
- Mozambique’s Northern Development Corridor invests US$150 million in improvements in Nacala
- Mozambique: Northern Development Corridor gets six more locomotives
- Mozambique: Northern Development Corridor invests in rolling stock and improving facilities
- Mozambique’s Northern Development Corridor to set up railway training school